my unwanted christmas gift

I just have to share my appendix story….more for memories sake…but also because many have asked for my “story”!

my beautiful attire –  boot socks and frye boots were more at the top of my Christmas list…

I woke up Christmas morning…felt tired (whats new?!?)…made french toast…went on a run…made a big Christmas lunch…laid on the couch all day eating ice cream cake from Baskin Robins and homemade pecan pie.  It was a good day!  I mean…what is better than laying around eating pie and ice cream cake with family??? My parents were here spending Christmas with us, and we all went to be early.  I went to bed feeling slightly nauseated with some extreme pain in my lower back.  The kids were all coming down with something, so I figured I was too.  I fell asleep around 9:30, and woke up about 10:30 with some really bad stomach pains.  I thought I had really bad gas…lol!  From all my overeating.  Except I got up to take something for my stomach, and the pain just intensified for the next five hours.  At about 3 a.m., after crying while holding my stomach and vomiting for hours…I woke Landon up to tell him I thought I needed to go to the hospital.  I have a very high pain tolerance, so I knew something was going on…just wasn’t sure what the cause was. He just asked…”can you drive yourself there?”.  Not because he is insensitive, but because we had kids waking up throughout the night because they were sick, and someone needed to stay home.  I took a shower, and then had to lay down again.  I fell asleep finally, and woke up around 7:00.  I took a shower, and attempted to get ready for the day.  My dad got the traditional fun breakfast of pancakes from McDonalds for everyone, and they were planning on leaving around 9:00 that morning.  I honestly thought I just had bad stomach problems, but the bottom right side of my stomach hurt to touch.  I decided I would get it checked out after they left, because I may have a UTI or kidney infection.  We waved good-bye to my parents, and I drove myself to the emergency room.  Thankfully, I was the only one there, because they got me back immediately.  I felt like I was going to fall over.  As I was talking to the nurse, she looked at me very skeptically….”So your pain is at an 8, but you drove yourself here AND walked in as well?”.  Um….yes I did…because I can’t bring all four kids to the emergency room and expose them to every germ possible.  Which is ironic since Beckham actually came down with the flu a couple days later.  The Doctor came in immediately and sent me for a CT scan.  It took a couple hours, but they gave me some great pain meds, and I actually got some great sleep while I was there. I BEGGED for just a few ice chips, which I preceded to throw up after I ate them.  I was just so thirsty!  Landon’s mom made it to the emergency room to sit with me and drive me home (i was sure I was going home), and the Dr. came in to give me the news….”Good news…you don’t have an ovarian cyst.  Bad news…you are going to be sent by ambulance to St. John Tulsa for an appendectomy”. WOW.  I was shocked, but at the same time thankful I didn’t go to the ER just for them to tell me I had an extreme case of gas.  I mean, that would be an embarrassment. Thankfully LeAnn was there to help me refuse the ambulance service…we were discharged, and Landon took me immediately to Tulsa, vomit bag in hand.  Although it would have been much cooler to ride in an ambulance for the first time.

We check in at the first floor, and I start to feel the room spin.  I sat down as they processed all my paperwork, and I started to feel so sick.  The wheelchair man finally came, and as we started going up in the elevator I got very sick, but I really didn’t want to throw up in front of an elevator full of people.  I made it to the floor, and I hear “Is that Miller from Owasso” from a couple nurses. I’m famous!  lol! It was all a blur…but I heard a familiar voice talking to me.  I look up and see Lauren, who is also a nurse at my OBGYN.  She immediately moved me to another room, and sent wheelchair man away, so I could vomit in peace.  I know…so gross.  Sorry, there’s a lot of talk about vomit in my story.   I was so thankful for a familiar face.  A resident doctor then came in, and I realized I knew him as well.  It was so comforting to see some familiar faces who helped me process what was happening so quickly.

i had some entertainment to distract me from thinking about the surgery
i had some entertainment to distract me from thinking about the surgery

Enter: EKG man.  Oh my – this was the worst part…he started just lifting my gown, and I was trying to keep myself somewhat covered.  He finally said, “Please relax and let me do my job.” YIKES. I almost died of embarrassment.  Then, he proceeded to rip all the EKG pads off my stomach in a hurry and left the room.  I realized I hadn’t taken my bra off either.  SO…I went to the bathroom and realized I couldn’t get it all the way off because of my IV.  I tried.  Every way possible….where are the scissors?!? I finally called the nurse tech, which was also a man.  And then had to explain to him why I needed my IV unhooked.  Could this be any worse?!?  YES…because I’m about to get wheeled to the operating room…where I won’t go into details…but I hate surgery and it was traumatic.

I was only away from Landon for about an hour and a half.  By the time I made it back to my room, I remember being very sick and having to throw up several times. I also remember crying…probably with an extremely ugly cry face…for no reason other than I was emotional and from the effects of the anesthesia.  The nurse ended up giving me a shot which finally stopped the vomiting.  Let me tell you…going under, and staying at the hospital is just NO fun when you don’t get to walk out with a baby.  😉  I did look like I was about 5 months pregnant when I left the hospital…from the air that they pumped in during surgery.  Noone warned me about that fun fact.

I was so hungry…I just wanted a cheeseburger!  I mean…come on people it’s been a whole 36 hours since I have eaten.  Well..I had to start off with water…then chicken broth (gross).  I got pudding around midnight, and i was finally able to start “soft” foods for breakfast.  I was discharged that afternoon, and I couldn’t wait to get home to my bed!  I did a lot of resting, and we got the kids back the next morning!

The pain was a little more intense than I was expecting, and I because discouraged at the fact that I was going to have to slow down and take it easy.  That’s really not in my vocabulary.  I had plans for January…all focused on me of course. I’m so thankful that God allowed it to happen, because I NEEDED it.  I needed a wake-up call to remember that there are some things in my life that are not as important as I think they are.  It has been so good to step away from a couple things and focus on getting rest and spending time with my family.  In all honesty, my most unwanted Christmas gift, was probably the most valuable.  I went through December FULL speed, constantly working,  not resting and definitely not taking time to fully enjoy anything.

I’m thankful that they were able to detect the problem before my appendix completely ruptured…because my surgery and hospital stay would have been longer.  My husband took care of ALL five of us….3 of our kids ended up getting the flu as well.  He’s my hero! I’m so thankful for so many family/friends praying for us, sending texts, calling Landon and offering to help in any way!  We also had several meals brought to us that week from very sweet friends.  It will definitely a Christmas I won’t forget for a while…the day my appendix decided it didn’t want to live with me anymore.  😉


One thought on “my unwanted christmas gift

  1. Oh my goodness. Bless your heart. I had 2 kids with the flu on Christmas and I thought that was bad! So sorry you had such a tough time. Hope things are feeling better and calming down now!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s